6/03/2018

Emile's Telegraphic Transmission Device - Lost in the Ether



I like Emile's Telegraphic Transmission Device. There is number of reasons for this. 
First of all it was one of the first projects which vinyl records I got to review. 
I like the name. Not only a transmission device. Telegraphic one. More technical language, even if we don't necessary know what that exactly means. But this particular device was made by Emile. Not professor Emile McGowan. Just Emile. There is so many stories behind this name. 
I like the idea of new romantic genre in XXI century. It was always bit out of the box, not very loved, not commercial... Different. 
I also kinda like the fact it's so underground. It has 30 followers on Instagram. My record collector's dream is to find out one day, totally unknown band became very popular and I got their first releases which are now very rare and extremely valuable.
I respect Dan Williams, head of the project, for his stubbornness in what he is doing. Band's videos on YouTube has silly number of views. Dan still writes new material. Still records it. Still releases it. I would probably give up. I would doubt in myself. I'm sad if my Instagram picture doesn't gather likes. But not Dan. He believes in his music. 
And finally, most importantly really, I do like the music. It's real. It's true...


When I made up name "Record Book" I started making YouTube videos about records. I gave up as it was to much hassle. Many days listening to albums, making an opinion. Whole day of setting up the lights, camera, then finally recording it. Another couple of days to put it all together. After weeks of work I had 100 views and a music copyright claim from a guy who sent me his record for review. I gave up. But I made an episode featuring Emile's Telegraphic Transmission Device. 


I loved that dreamy sounds from the beginning. I liked idea of creating something retro in so deep meaning it was like a time travel to 80'. I made this video almost two years ago. Many things changed. My daughter grew up and she is running everywhere. I get bit fatter, then get a gym membership so I get some guns. My second daughter is almost here too. Dan released another album a year ago, but nothing more changed there. He is still not pictured next to Dave Graham, there was no Emile's name on Longitude list... Time to change it.


I was spoiled with a copy of new Emile's Telegraphic Transmission Device album long before its premiere. It's called Lost in the Ether and well... It's brilliant.
First impression is there is less sounds here. Less music. It is minimalistic in many ways indeed. It is also brighter and more spacious cause of that. We are not overwhelmed with it. We got some samples from NASA archives, with the voice of Stephen Hawking giving us a lecture about life in universe. There is a whole track with greetings from Earth in every language. There is more changes to previous albums too. Melodies are very simple but beautiful. That makes this album very even from the first track to the last. But most important thing is Dan doesn't try to be someone else anymore. It's not a synth pop in a style of this or that artist. It's a fully grown up, considered material in a Emile's Telegraphic Transmission Device style. And without a doubt it is his most important creation which should bring him international fame and glory.


Album will be released in August in few different formats. There will be vinyl, as you can tell by the picture above, but also a cassette and obviously digital version. There is not much change to way Dan likes his vinyl records. Disc is very neat, well pressed but also very well mastered to this format. Sounds great and way more spacious than digital. Simple sleeve. Back has titles of tracks and that's it. Front is stunning though. Keeps all the theme of the album. Yes, it's a map how to find planet Earth. It's probably my favourite cover Dan ever released. Simple but so meaningful. It's like the music he wrote. Synthesised. Synthesised synth pop. 

Brilliant piece of music, melancholic yet comforting. Round and tasty. I love it! You can preorder it on the link below the review and wait for August but I guarantee, it is worth it!

And follow Dan on Instagram for fuck sake!






No comments:

Post a Comment